2011년 11월 13일 일요일

Review-Pentax k-r, a nice DSLR

     


     As being a member of “Through The Lens”, one and only photo club in our school, I always enjoyed taking pictures and doing Photoshop to make them look nice. But during couple months of the first semester, I had only used non-DSLR camera, since I did not have any DSLRs. I was wondering when I could buy that fancy, nice-looking DSLR, and in July, I finally bought one after careful consideration. It is “Pentax K-r”, and I want to show my opinion and review on this DSLR, also with how others think about this camera. Well, I’m neither a professional photographer nor a digital camera critic. This review is just based on my personal feelings, as an ordinary high school student who is interested in taking photos. So ENJOY!

1. Design (10/10)
     Many people would question whether design plays an important role in choosing a camera. Well, for me, design really is what I consider very important in choosing products such as cell phones or laptops, and there is no such exception for cameras. In fact, one of the biggest reason that I choosed this model is its stylish and noticeable colors and designs. Almost all DSLR cameras are in black. Nikon, Canon, Sony and etc… DSLR cameras of these brands are all black, offering no other color choice for customers. However, after taking a glance at the advertisement of ‘Pentax K-r’, I was just captivated by its white-colored body and compact design. In Korea, ‘Pentax k-r’ is offered in three colors; Black, white and pink. For me, a great fan of white-colored products, it seemed as a great decision to purchase this model. Plus, the body itself is much smaller to other DSLR models, being so attractive to those who are reluctant to use DSLR cameras due to their big body sizes. Overall, the design of ‘Pentax k-r’ is quite a bit revolutionary, and I definitely recommend this camera to customers who not only care about the features but also pay a close attention to the product’s design.

2. Basic Features-Hardware (8/10)
     Now, here comes the most fundamental and important criteria in deciding which camera to buy for most of the people. The biggest resolution of the image is 4288 x 2848, which is not outstanding but normal, compared to other models in the market. Also, it is possible to take videos by ‘Pentax K-r’, a function that some DSLR does not provide. One great advantage of this camera is its function to prevent ‘shaking hands’ (In Korean, it is ‘손떨림방지’, but I don’t get how to put it accurately in English haha) When taking photos, it is easy to have your hands shaking which makes the resulting photo blurry. Especially in the dark environment where the shutter speed is really slow, ‘shaking hands’ problem is quite annoying. However, the body of ‘Pentax K-r’ has a function of preventing ‘shaking hands’, helping photos to not become too blurry. Compared to other brands in which this function is not included in the body itself but need special lens, this is a great advantage! Above all, I would say that the overall functions are definitely above expectation, regarding its reasonable price!

3. Basic Features-photos (9/10)
     Here, I would like to talk more about the pictures. What I really notice about this camera is that the resulting pictures give a strong, full-of-color and vivid feeling that we do not necessarily need Photoshop processing after taking photos. The colors are definitely well-expressed, but I guess people who do not prefer strong colors could be unhappy with this. Beyond that, ‘Pentax k-r’ has a unique function called ‘Cross Processor’, which gives a change to image’s overall color tone. (Searching on Internet, this function is only provided by the brand ‘Pentax’) I think this function is quite useful to amateur users who want to give some special effect to the photo. Also for people who do not enjoy using Photoshop, these unique characteristics of ‘Pentax K-r’ can remove some burden of photo revision process.



(Can you get how the 'Cross Processor' works?)

4. Overall...
     I do like my DSLR, which has all these nice features...but in all cases drawbacks exist. For example, I sometimes feel that 'Pentax K-r' has too loud shutter sound. Still, If I were to give a score out of 10, I would give 9 to this DSLR model. Well, I hope you guys all have enjoyed my review and this can help you actually decide what DSLR to buy...haha

댓글 2개:

  1. Yes it is what? Why did I write that?

    Nice review. I remember you didn't have a nice camera when you were in my IR class, but this one seems pretty sweet. If you travel, a smaller DSLR can be very handy. As for the color white, it reminds me of Apple. I only hope you can keep it clean. As for the video - I envy you. I really want to get a Cannon with video but I can't afford the thousands of dollars. I'd love to see a sample of the video for this camera. Why don't you make a movie and upload it?

    So this is a good review, but it feels like it ended quickly. There are still many things I want to know, such as price and lens and megapixels and and and. BUT very good! I can see your skills are improving.

    답글삭제